Okay so here is the deal. I am a CHRONIC worry wart. I worry about the past, present and future even though worrying in itself does nothing but keep me from being productive. I worry about my family (especially my kids). I even worry about my DOGS. Seriously??? My mother should have named me Donna Worry Byars on my birth certificate.
I know that there is all kinds of articles, blogs, and books written on this very topic and I have read most every single one of them. That being said I have started practicing ways on how to stop worrying about every little thing that happens. Worry causes stress and stress causes sickness and sickness causes..well you get it.
Have you noticed that men tend to not worry as much as women? I mean, we could be on the verge of a major catastrophe and my husband will not lose a wink of sleep over it. It actually drives me crazy that I lay awake chewing on something and my husband is just snoring away. I am sure there is a scientific reason for this, but I haven’t researched it as of yet. Maybe someone reading this will tell us but right now I am too busy focusing on ways to turn off the racing thoughts that plague my sleepless nights.
I ran across some great tips that I am trying and I thought I would share them. Maybe some of you have tried them and have been successful and if so please share because I can use all the help I can get in this area of my life. So here is what the “experts” say on ways to stop worrying.
1. Color- Now, I am going to admit I thought this was the craziest thing I have ever heard, but adult coloring books are the new rage these days. I went to Walmart, bought two coloring books and pencils. I have to admit it worked great for me. I had to concentrate hard on keeping between the intricate lines and “voila”, the worrying stopped.
2. Walk- I have done this before but if I walk alone I find that I still tend to dwell on my worries. So I always bring a friend to cut up with as I walk.
3. Music- The ultimate diffuser of worry for me is to listen to my favorite tunes. Bring on the 80’s music and I am worry free for hours.
4. Play- I absolutely love playing with my kids. They keep me laughing and focused on them and not myself.
5. Read- I will read just about anything if it gets my mind off of my worries. I have read whole books for days on end to keep my mind occupied.
6. Write- Even if you aren’t a writer, just doodling something will keep my mind occupied.
7. Play “Candy Crush”- I am addicted to it once I get started and it’s not a mindless game either. It requires concentration to get the candy.
These are just a few things I have started doing to keep my mind off of my worries and troubles. What are your ways of battling worry?
Would love to hear your responses and advice.